Monday, January 10, 2011

Cam Newton Under the Gun (by Children)

Questions from children?  Cam Newton wishes these were the biggest problems he was facing.  He's playing the biggest game of his life against the Oregon Ducks in the 2011 National Championship Game.  He's dodging questions about the pay for play allegations he faced in his University Florida days and he's trying to become the next Randall Cunningham or Peyton Manning (and not the next JaMarcus Russell - Robitussin DM anyone?).  Incidentally, I can't help but think that Newton knew exactly what his Father was doing.  I mean, what if one of the teams accepted Cecil Newton's overtures?  Wouldn't Cam Newton want to know why his Father was making him go to a certain team without consultation?

My six year old is clearly excited for the game.  "This is the most exciting game, Dad.  It's Cam against Uncle Mark!"  Of course, his brother is named Cam and his Uncle lives in Duck Country.  Actually, this is the most excited I've been about a game on TV since I compared watching a game live vs watching a game on TV.  I love high scoring affairs and this game could see 90 points between the two teams.  I love trick plays and odd formations and we could see fake field goals, fake punts and drop kicks.  I don't know what to expect.

But the focus is on Cam Newton.  The 8 year old name sake to the Heisman Trophy winner was asking a bunch of questions that led me to believe that he was also excited (although he was rolling his eyes and making fun of the whole affair - almost to the point that I thought he was going to ask me for the car keys).  When I came downstairs to the boys watching the pregame, I was finally curious enough to ask what they thought about the most notorious college football player since Lawrence Phillips.  Here are a couple of their responses...


I will play for cash
 1.  8 year old.  He has my name.  That was a no brainer.

2.  6 year old.  Cam Newton made it to the Super Bowl!  This would be astounding that he thought the championship game in College Football was named the Super Bowl, but every time the Patriots are playing, he asks if it's the Super Bowl.  I guess we've been spoiled these past 10 years if every game he hears he thinks is the Super Bowl.  Let's just say that young Jets fans don't ask if every game is the Super Bowl.

3.  8 year old.  He's the best quarterback in football and he's on the Auburn Tigers.  I personally think Andrew Luck is the best quarterback in football.  Rex Ryan would probably think that Jim Harbaugh coached Luck up and Gene Chizik is just some stiff.  I still think that Luck is a better quarterback. 

4.  6 year old.  He throws it straight!  I'm not really sure what to make of that so I just shake my head in agreement.  I also think that he distracted by Oregon's ugly yellow cleats.

They start throwing out a bunch of different things that they've learned about Newton.  They've obviously done their homework so I ask them who they are rooting.  "I'm rooting for Cam's team."

Cam then answers "Well, I'm not rooting for them."

"You're not rooting for your own team?"  I ask him, trying to confuse him in a Laurel and Hardy way.

"Wait which team is Cam Newton on again?" They both ask me.  Whichever team pays him the most.  Just don't call me Cecil.   

No comments:

Post a Comment