Monday, September 25, 2017

NFL Protests - Aren't We All Losing?

Yesterday marked a sharp turn in the Colin Kaepernick saga.  Whereas just a couple of weeks ago only a handful of players were taking a knee or showing some sort of support for those who were, this past weekend showed teams around the league kneeling, sitting, interlocking arms or even not showing up for the National Anthem.  Spurred on by President Donald Trump's call to "fire" all of those who dare protest the singing of the national anthem, players and teams decided to protest in unity.  I personally will not forget the very awkward way that Tom Brady decided to show unity - interlocking his left arm and putting his right hand over his heart.

I guess we have to put aside the obvious pandering that went into President Trump's call to "Fire" anybody (Remember the Apprentice?) when he made his speech in front of a pro-Trump crowd and talk about the issue.  Really, does anyone win in this situation?

Players and Teams

I understand the players' right to protest racial inequality.  I really do.  I may not experience it first hand since I know and like most of the cops I interact with, but many men of color - particularly black men - have had much different experiences with the police.

The men of vast wealth have chosen an easy way out though, right?  Taking a knee during the National Anthem is an easy way out in my humble opinion.  It is 2 minutes out of their lives once a week.  How about taking some of that vast wealth and return it to the community?  How about becoming a role model and instead of paying lip service to a serious cause, actually try and make a difference.

Maybe many of the players who are protesting are giving back to their community, but that work is being completely overshadowed by suspensions and arrests of high profile football players.  Ezekiel Elliot, Joe Mixon, Michael Oher, Pacman Jones and Darrelle Revis have all been arrested or suspended by the league in the last 6 months.  And these were the players I remember or who were caught.  Jesus, even that scumbag Aaron Hernandez is still in the news.  Now it was CTE that made him do it!  Or maybe it was the rampant drug use and the friends who he associated himself with.  Even that Giants kicker is still making headlines.  Unfortunately, I don't have any anecdotes of players doing good in the community.

And the teams - or the owners more specifically - are not much better.  Most (but not all) came out with statements that were pro-player denouncing President Trump remarks.  Many of these owners donated 7 figures to Trump activities over the past year.  You know how I was talking about paying lip service?  Well, I wonder how many of these same owners will continue to donate to Trump activities next year or in 2020? 

Conservatives and President Trump

I guess free speech is only free if it is the kind of speech that you want to hear.  I'm conservative, and I tolerate liberal viewpoints (Hey, I read Gawker websites and CNN, you know) because listening to these viewpoints might allow me to understand positions better (so I can shoot them down), permit me to change my mind on some issues and generally gives me comfort that viewpoints are also free.

But the change in presidency has given fringe groups and ultra conservatives a voice.  Free speech is only free speech if it agrees with your viewpoint, according to these wing nuts.  I remember when President Bush decried the burning of the American Flag back in the late 80's and early 90's.  While burning the American Flag is legal, many conservatives wanted to make it illegal. The same rationale was brought up.  Why disrespect our military and police by burning the flag, they said.  I really don't see it.  Our military and police fight so we can exercise these rights.  And they know this going in.  I just can't help but think that it is pandering to a voter base.  And just the fact that I think this (and not that this is a real issue) is troubling, no?

President Trump still needs to do something about Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Irma, North Korea, Russia, Radical Islamic Terrorism.  But yet he is focused on this issue.  I recognize that he is pandering to his voter base by dealing with this issue (and its an easy issue to deal with that panders to his base), but not walking back his statements is a little crazy.  We live in crazy times, though.

My thoughts?  I don't care if a player sits or stands for the National Anthem.  Unless it affects me, I don't care about anyone else's exercise of their free speech.

Now let's play ball and get back to protesting the Patriots atrocious Defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment